Search This Blog

Sunday 24 May 2015

Writing and the cry of "If only I had more time"

I like to think of myself as a writer.

Even during the thirty plus years I spent as a senior manager-exec-consultant-contractor, I still liked to think that way.

I imagine that just about all of us who love to write would like more time.  The problem is that when you get to work on something serious, there is a lot of real work around bringing it to fruition. Writing a book is just the start.  From first to second draft, editing and probably third draft, getting it reviewed, rewriting it, passing it to the pro-editor, re-writing parts of it, having that re-edited....

And meanwhile, you are trying to build up a head of steam behind it amongst potential supporters and those who might influence the final outcome.

Then it probably comes back from the publisher wanting some more work on it and you are into another round.

While all this is going on, you need to be focused on the work you are intending to publish.

But, we are writers and writers are always having new ideas and inspirations. So what do you do with all those other stories and poems that are clamouring to get written?

I don't know about the rest of you but I tend to write any good lines and thoughts down, sometimes a whole chapter or two and file it. Some I turn, temporarily into short stories to see how they look and whether they might have legs.  Others, I just lay the plan out briefly and boot into the same area for a review sometime.

How many of you have more writing sitting in various states than have ever shared beyond maybe one or two friends or your partner?

And now it's Summer, here and there are even more distractions.  We went for a long walk around a local village, this morning with in-laws and puppy. Ah, the English countryside is so full of wonderful sounds, smells and ideas.  When you have as much time as you want to do such things, there is never enough time. 

Come on now, tell me you ever feel like there is time enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment